Saturday, January 7, 2012

Biblical Country Girl

January 3, 2012

Tonight, as I sit here studying my lesson for this evening, all is calm and quiet.

I'm studying in Song of Solomon.  Chapter One discusses that admiration of lovers.  Solomon's lover is a maiden and more ironically, a country girl.  The maiden states that she is black, meaning that she is very tanned due to working the vineyards in the hot sun.  The next few verses transform into a conversation between Solomon and the maiden, sounding similar to a present-day love letters.  Solomon compares his girlfriend to a company of horses.  Today, that comparison may have been taken offensively, but here, it represents the horses of the king because they were known for gracefulness, beauty, and costly ornamentation. 

In the beginning of Chapter Two, the maiden compares herself to the Rose of Sharon and the Lily of the Valley, meaning she is as common as a field flower. 

This struck me as odd because I have heard these references made toward God.  I believe that similar to the maiden, this depicts God's human side.  Jesus was just a common man, however, holding something uniquely special. 

I appreciate the Lord for everything He has done in my life and for everything He's going to do.

~*~Kristen~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment